Remko Weijnen's Blog (Remko's Blog)

About Virtualization, VDI, SBC, Application Compatibility and anything else I feel like

Archive for January, 2011

Have you developed an application that accesses files and may stop because a file cannot be accessed but you need to?

Since Windows Vista it is possible to find out the name of the application which holds open a file.

And we have created a solution for you that doesn’t require a driver, nor does it need Administrator rights! Just plain user source code for you to use instantly.

We have developed a solution in Delphi that can show your user which application stalls your application. Look at these screenshots:

In fact, these dialogs are only for demonstration purposes. But you can get them in addition as a Delphi project!

The code itself is fairly easy to use. We have developed an extension to the official IFileIsInUse Interface from Microsoft.

All you have to do it to call this function provides by us:

The name of the app is returned by the method GetAppName. And if the other application supports IFileIsInUse (call method GetCapabilities) interface you even can close the file or switch to the window.

You’ll see how it works in the demonstration project (images above) accompanied by the function GetFileInUseInfo.

Currently, we only offer a Delphi solution. C++ may available in future or when there’s enough demand for it.

Please use the Contact Form to get more information about how to obtain the solution and conditions.

WordPress monthly archives broken

I noticed that the monthly archives on my blog were not working. I first thought it was a problem with the .htaccess file but it was correct.

I also tried resetting the permalinks option in WordPress to default an back but that did help as well.

After some digging I was able to fix it by selecting an option in the Robots Meta plugin I use:


I selected the Disable the date-based archives option, saved settings and de-selected it again. I am not sure what it changes (the .htaccess file was not changed) nor did I check the code to see what it does but at least it’s working again!

  • Filed under: General
  • Blogroll