I had a strange error today using the Desktop App Converter with the parameters given from the Store for Business.

The conversion would fail with the following error:

DesktopAppConverter : error 'E_MANIFEST_USE_DEFAULT_VALUE_FAILED': Property 'Package.Applications.Application.Id' in AppxManifest.xml could not be set to the default value

I’m not sure why this fails as the PackageName is provided by the store and should be valid. An answer on stackoverflow suggested to use a different value for the PackageName parameter and then edit the manifest.

I don’t like this method as manual modifications of the manifest often leads to errors when submitting the application to the store.

So let’s have a look and see why we’re getting this error.

I searched for E_MANIFEST_USE_DEFAULT_VALUE_FAILED in the DesktopAppConverter folder and found 1 occurence in ManifestOps.ps1.

From a look at the code it wasn’t immediately clear where the validation failed so I decided to debug it.

I launched the DesktopAppConverter from the PowerShell ISE and set a breakpoint just before the


Then I stepped into $this.Validate() which throws the actual error and it had the following text:

Error found in XMLThe ‘Name’ attribute is invalid – The value ‘Company.ApplicationIdentifierXXXXXXXXXX’ is invalid according to its datatype ‘http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/types:ST_PackageName’ – The actual length is greater than the MaxLength value.

Ah so there is a constraint on the PackageName length!

So let’s have a look at the XSD file and see what the constraints are for ST_PackageName. I search for ST_PackageName in all *.xsd files in the DesktopAppConverter and found it in AppxManifestTypes.xsd :


So the issue in here is that the PackageName I used was longer that 50 characters!

Now there’s 2 solutions from here and that’s either reduce the PackageName length or specify an alternative, shorter, name by adding the -AppId  switch. E.g. -AppId "MyApplication".