Remko Weijnen's Blog (Remko's Blog)

About Virtualization, VDI, SBC, Application Compatibility and anything else I feel like

Exchange Move Mailbox Experiences Part 5

imageAnother interesting Move Mailbox error and in this case I am really unsure how this would be possible!

Let’s look at the Move Mailbox log:

This error occurs because of a size constraint just like the one in the previous part.

imageBut the strange part is that it seems to be a PST file (type IPM.Document.PSTFile) located in the Root folder of the Exchange mailbox (which is not possible AFAIK).

 

(more…)

  • 0 Comments
  • Filed under: Exchange
  • Exchange Move Mailbox Experiences Part 4

    The previous part (part 3) addressed Mailbox Size but did you know that even Message Size (or rather Item size) can prevent a successful move as well?

    Here’s an example move mailbox log:

    As you can see in the log this mailbox there is one item with a size of 72 MegaBytes.

    Let’s see this in Outlook:

    image

    It gets even worse when we open the Message:

    image

    It was addresses to several internal recipients and as you know Exchange 2010 no longer supports Single Instance Storage.

  • 1 Comment
  • Filed under: Exchange
  • Exchange Move Mailbox Experiences Part 3

    In Part 2 I showed some details about Mailbox Rule corruptions that can disturb Mailbox Moves.

    For this part the topic is Mailbox size, which can be an important factor in deciding which mailboxes you want to move first.

    In my case the mailbox size was important because we agreed to move smaller mailboxes during the day but larger mailboxes only outside working hours.

    For Exchange 2010 mailboxes it’s very easy to obtain the size using PowerShell.

    Example:

    DisplayNameItemCountTotalItemSize
    Remko Weijnen31334.87 MB (36,564,183 bytes

    But how can we get the Mailbox Size for Exchange 2003 mailboxes?

     

    (more…)

    Exchange Move Mailbox Experiences Part 2

    In part 1 we saw that a corrupted rule made the Mailbox Move fail.

    I wanted to know if I had really a corrupted mailbox or maybe even corruption in the store or another problem.

    So in this part I will describe how to break down the Mailbox Move Log.

    First go to the Failed Move Request and select Properties:

    image

     

    (more…)

  • 0 Comments
  • Filed under: Exchange
  • Cannot achieve Exchange Server authentication

    Exchange Logo

    I was testing outgoing mail flow in my new Exchange 2010 setup, which should go from the CAS Servers to the Edge server in the DMZ.

    After configuring the Edge subscription I noticed that outgoing mails got stuck in the queue with the following error:

    451 4.4.0 Primary target IP address responded with: "451 5.7.3 Cannot achieve Exchange Server authentication." Attempted failover to alternate host, but that did not succeed. Either there are no alternate hosts, or delivery failed to all alternate hosts.

    I verified that name resolution back and forth was ok and that I could communicate on port 25, 50389 and 50636.

    (more…)

  • 0 Comments
  • Filed under: Exchange
  • Get smallest Exchange Database in PowerShell

    SNAGHTML1ca684c

    I needed to adapt some scripts that create a user with mailbox for Exchange 2010. The existing scripts had a hardcoded database for new mailboxes.

    I wanted the mailbox to be created in the smallest database, but how do we determine this?

    For Exchange 2010 this is fairly easy using PowerShell:

    Set Exchange Product Key with PowerShell

    SNAGHTML1ca684c

    By default Exchange 2007 and 2010 are installed in Trial mode so before going into production you need to enter the Product Key.

    The Exchange Management Console will warn you if one or more servers are still in trial mode:

    image

    (more…)

    SNAGHTML1ca684c

    I am currently working on an Exchange migration from 2003 to 2010. For the implementation of a load balancing solution for the CAS/HUB servers I needed to set Static RPC Ports for the RPC Client Access Service and the Exchange Address Book Service.

    The procedure of changing these ports is described on the Technet Wiki: Configure Static RPC Ports on an Exchange 2010 Client Access Server

    Since I am lazy I decided to do this with a PowerShell script that would automatically do this for all CAS/HUB servers in my 2010 environment.

    (more…)

    Exchange 2010 Logo

    I got the following error while installing Exchange 2010: “There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706D9)”

    I looked up HRESULT 0x800706D9 which is defined in winerror.h as EPT_S_NOT_REGISTERED with the same error text.

    I looked at the ExchangeSetup.log in C:\ExchangeSetupLogs and this indicates that the error occurs when the install-ADTopologyService cmdlet tries to add some rules to the firewall:


    Windows Firewall LogoThe Windows Firewall service was disabled, so I set it to Automatic, started it and enabled it and then the setup ran without errors

    Donate


    Blogroll


    Categories


    Archives